Monday 14 January 2013

COSTERMONGER'S BARROW.

On my travels Sunday morning whilst looking for a new/old club hammer, (the modern fibre glass shaft broke on mine, as most modern tools do) I came across this lovely market barrow with expertly carved inscriptions. I think the hand barrow was for sale, if I only had room.


With some more research I have found that the barrow was made by Edward Howard of 23 Wheeler street Spitalfields (now Quaker st) Howard built barrows for hire to the costermongers who bought produce wholesale at Spitalfields Market. Costermongers sold fruit and vegetables from barrows in the crowded streets of the East End.

I love the leaf spring set up, they don't make them like this any more.


 Below is a link to a great article from the Spitalfields life blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment